[TYPO3-dev] Page tree search box

Benjamin Mack mack at xnos.org
Tue Nov 27 16:30:32 CET 2007

Hey,

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> It shouldn't be a problem if it can disabled on a user per basis. But it is
> as the user setup UI doesn't show all options.
I tend to disagree. As seen on many instruction meetings, editors /
admins always were groaning when they first saw the BE. I don't want to
overload it more for new users. I also think: If 80% of the users don't
use it, we should have it as a "Enable search box in page tree" option.

> So IMHO we should do two things before we disable the box by default:
>
> a) make it really usable (eg with the AJAX subtree thingy)
> b) make the user setup UI usable (show all UI options)
Yep. completely agreed. Unfortunately I don't have time for this before
4.2 since there is tons of other work in the BE that needs more
attention than a search field for the page tree. Means: If no other
raises his hand right now, it will be left half-baken until then.
(Especially your point "b").

OK. So here is what I think:
We should remove it completely for now (from the source control as well,
we still have it existing) and re-introduce it with 4.3 again. One of my
big plans for 4.3 is the re-birth of the user task center so it's quite
usable. Also, work for the pagetree never ends ;-) so I think we could
work on this for 4.3.
Same problem is the topapps sysext that is shipped with every
installation but half-baked and not installed by default. Either one
decides to work on it and wants to finish one or I think we should move
it to TER.

Just my two cents... also, Kasper, it's not against you, I'm just
concerned about have a clean and good BE interface...

--
greetings,
benni.

www.xnos.de // www.xnos.org