[TYPO3-dev] debug TYPO3 with Eclipse PDT

Tomi Hrovatin tomi at tri-ex.si
Wed Nov 21 09:05:46 CET 2007

Hi all,

For the past few days I also tried to configure Eclipse & PDT & Zend Debug.
And here is my experience.

My system:
win vista (please don't comment),
latest wampp (apache 2.2.4, php 5.2.4, ...)
Eclipse Europa 3.3.0 with PDT (all in one package)
Subclipse
Zend debugger

My current setup:
My workspace dir is set in htdocs/workspace directory.
My typo3 dir is set in htdocs/typo3
In empty workspace I imported/checkouted extension from typo3xdev
(htdocs/workspace/my_extension)
I symlinked it to /htdocs/typo3/typo3conf/ext/my_extension (this is the
only positive thing in win vista)
Now I had a working typo3 site.
Because the extension in SVN already had .project file (that didn't have
some directives for debugger, code completion, php project, ...) I had
to manualy add them.
I restarted the eclipse and manually rebuilded the project.
Then I added PHP include Path (/htdocs/typo3) to the project.

Now I:
- can set a breakpoint in every typo3 core file
- can point and click to go to declaration (this is not working everywhere)
- cannot set a breakpoint in my_extension

I also tried Zend firefox extension (2.0.1) but it doesn't work at all.
(I just installed it and set external browser in eclipse. Is there some
other configuration I should know?)

Well, this is all I could get from Eclipse till now.

If you have any comments or maybe you are willing to share your
configuration, please do so. I'm sure a lot of developers will
appreciate it.

It would also be very valuable if we had some sort of 'best practice' on
how to use Eclipse (or any other editor/tool) and Typo3.

regards,
Tomi Hrovatin