[TYPO3-dev] De-admin the "Tools" module

Steffen Kamper steffen at sk-typo3.de
Thu Nov 15 17:51:30 CET 2007

"Dmitry Dulepov [typo3]" <dmitry at typo3.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:mailman.1.1195132671.7476.typo3-dev at lists.netfielders.de...
> Steffen Kamper wrote:
>> in my eyes it's easy and obvious to use tools-menu and de-admin. Each mod
>> can configured if admin-only or not, so i don't really understand the
>> vetos.
>
> The whole idea of the Tools module was that it is available for admin
> only. Anything, that ordinary user can see, should go User module. I do
> not see why Tools should be used instead of User.
>
> When I started with TYPO3, I was surprised about this as well but then
> found that it fits good. You got admin-only tools in Tools and everything
> else under User. It is similar to /sbin and /bin on *nix systems. Quite
> logical separation.
>
> --

yes, that's reasonable.
But i see another effect: mods are mostly added in Web if they should be
used for editors. I think of awstats, mailformplus etc.
These normally would go to tools.
Maybe the authors are too lazy to integrate in another place, maybe user
implicies user-specific settings and doesn't sounds general, as tools would
do.

If there is a "admin-own" menu, it should be named "Admin", and a tools for
general plugins. But sure, i don't want to turn everything, just my opinion.

vg  Steffen