[TYPO3-dev] Ideas backend documentation

Benjamin Mack mack at xnos.org
Wed Nov 7 00:23:39 CET 2007

Hey Chris & all,

I think starting with AJAX instead of the browser popup should be no
problem and could be achieved within a week or two of coding time...

So, another problem we find in our installations is that most of the
help icons (especially of exts) are not filled in. Wouldn't it be great
if admins could edit the text and then submit it to a central
documentation server where a documentation-team member could approve or
deny this change? Our documentation is totally outdated and of little
use for my editors -- so if people could edit documentation faster, it
could lead to more recent documentation.

So some ideas to this "installation-specific help icons". Imagine an
admin could edit the help text of a help popup. Then he could add
information about this option there and that option, that is specific if
you add it. My idea would be to make the help icon colored if there is
text specifically made for that.

Also, finally I think it would be awesome if I could generate a PDF for
each editor with only the modules that are enabled (already implemented
in a way) + the additional installation-specific information of the
admins. Every editor could print out his / her own manual specific for a
installation. I think they'd love it.

Another idea would be to have admins create workflows / wizards with
specific information for this workflow. Maybe I can do something for
this for 4.3.

It would be really great if you could think of ideas where and how the
documentation system could be improved. We could also check other
open-source projects and how they handle documentation. As everybody of
you should know: Software is only as good as the documentation is. (OK,
i just made up that line but you know what I mean ;-))

greetings,
benni.
-SDG-

www.xnos.de // www.xnos.org