[TYPO3-dev] TS compiler

Fri May 11 16:22:04 CEST 2007

>> To make it extendable and to keep the work on semantic low I think, one
>> shouldn't hardecode it all into the compiler but make it read from a kind
>> of configuration file for the semantics. But that requires to define an
>> additional grammer for this configuration file.
>
> Nice idea. The endless spiral - who verifyes the configuration file ;-)
> Jokes aside - this could prove usefull. Probably something to take into
> account in the design of TS 2.0 or whatever it's called for the T3 5.0 CMS?

Thinking this twice I don't think it belongs into the compiler, but should
be done in a completely separate module. It could be implemented in PHP
checking the generated PHP Array.

The semantics configuration could be done in TS pretty well, looking
similar to this:

objects {
  HTML{
    name = HTML
    optionalProperties {
      value {
        name = value
        required = 0
        dataTypes = string, stdWrap
      }

   }
  TEXT {
    name = TEXT
    optionalProperties {
      value {
        name = value
        dataTypes = string
        functions = stdWrap
      }
      dataTypes = stdWrap
   }
}

functions {
  stdWrap {
    name = stdWrap
    optionalProperties {
      case {
        name = cases
        dataTypes = cases
      }
      lang {
        name = lang
      }
    }
  }
}

dataTypes {
  cases {
    name = cases
    dataTypes{
      enum.values = upper, lower
    }
  }
  enum {
    name = enum
    requiredProperties = values
  }
}

>> Not yet.
>
> But you actualy plan to do so? :-) I'm interested on an academic level as

Yes. I want to learn writing compilers and this belongs to the stuff I have
to practice.

> well, since I recently took a course in semantics and have written
> compilers before (just in ML which is very nice for compiler generation).

:-)

Regards

Elmar