[TYPO3-dev] relaease plans for typoe 4.2?

John Angel johnange at gmail.com
Mon May 7 21:08:58 CEST 2007

> I thin it's better to improve the UI then. Or create better IDEs for
> using TS (which will be possible).

Are we developing the programming language or CMS?

Here are the strong arguments:

1) Typoscript is very difficult to learn. TS doesn't have similar popular
language which looks alike, which makes things even worst.

I do not understand why do you insist in using something that nobody uses
anywhere and is extremely hard to learn? We can make IDE. We can make syntax
and error checking. But, newcomers still have to learn it from the scratch.
And it takes very very long time. Why
should we bother, when we can adopt existing language which already
processes TS?

I agree PHP was/is horrible, but it improves itself. We should let PHP guys
do PHP and ourselves should focus on improving features of Typo3, not
wasting time on reinventing some-language.

Somebody even suggested to make compiler for TS here. We are loosing
precious time on periphery things.

2) PHP approach is much easier than Typoscript.

object.stdWrap.if {
  value.data = some_value
  isLessThan = 1
  isGreaterThan = 10
 }

vs.

if($some_value>1 || $some_value<10) { $object->render=true; }

How to explain above TS example to newcomer? It is easy task, but
complicated solution.

How to tell him that TS is not procedural and that he has to forget all from
PHP, which was the reason why he picked up Typo3 in the first place. How to
tell him that some objects have and some don't have stdWrap?

I wonder can you find good answers for this questions ;)

Regards,
John