[TYPO3-dev] Typo3 4.1 - Server crashes

Elmar HInz elmar.hinz at team.MINUS.red.DOT.net
Mon Mar 26 18:05:34 CEST 2007

Am Mon, 26 Mar 2007 15:04:39 +0300 schrieb Dmitry Dulepov:

> You forget that innodb works much better with locks, which is esential
> for index tables...

That is one point, but is it that relevant for TYPO3 usage at all?

a) Locks work in the moment of writing. 99.9% of use of index tables -
in all TYPO3 tables - is reading. They need to be optimized for that,
rarely for secure transactions.

b) In high load indexing there is only one user at one time writing to the
index table. That is the indexing engine, so there is no concurrent access
to the tables. If indexing happens in concurrent way -- that is triggered
by human editors -- that is rather low load. Updates by editors happen
comparingly seldom within one TYPO3 DB.

c) MyIsam Tables are written in timly order, so that the bits and bytes
don't need to be moved around. InnoDB are written in order of the primary
key, wich requires additional mechanism to reorder the data. Also a
resource eater.

>From this thoughts I would not expect performance gains by InnoDB,
rather the opposite. But theory is one thing. The other should be
benchmarking.

Regards

Elmar