[TYPO3-dev] Two css_styled_content as default

Christopher Torgalson bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 16:13:30 CET 2007

Hi Tapio,

On 3/20/07, Tapio Markula <tapio.markula at atwebteam.com> wrote:
> Peter Russ kirjoitti:
> > Tapio Markula schrieb:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I would recommend to put two version of setup.txt for
> >> css_styled_content as default
> >>
> >> float and DIV designing has several problems
> >>
> >> 1) the height of the container for floated elements doesn't grow
> >> automatic - very bad problem
> >> for several rows of images because you should set the height of the
> >> container taking account the *maximum* height. Tables don't have this
> >> problem
> >> 2) height of divs are different. If you try to set height as 100% that
> >> will fail in many situations. Tables don't have this problem
> >>
> >> Because of serious layout problems I have sometimes changed DIV layout
> >> into conventional tables. Concening the latter problem DIVs are usable
> >> if you don't need to set background properties.
> >> Because of serious layout problem it would be nice to have
> >> alternative to use the old and very realiable table based style
> >> of Typo3 3.8.1 without any complains of using old style!
> >> Maybe old style has accessibility problems but at least it works
> >> reliable.
> >
> > No need, it can be done in css: check this out:
> > http://kunst.tagesspiegel.de or
> > http://kunst.zeit.de or
> > http://www.weltkunst.de
> >
> > Regs. Peter.
> >

> In the English list has been much discussion with problems
> of the new css_styled_content. I just hope that people could
> use simpler solution than problematic floats.
> It has always problems in certain circumstances and if there
> are problems offering alternative solution would not be too much to ask.

I think 'much discussion' is a slight exaggeration, and I also think
that characterizing all floats as 'problematic' is absurd. Certain
uses of floats in highly specific circumstances may cause problems,
but (a) they are usually trivial to fix, and (b) it does not usually
mean the floats themselves are problematic--only last night, I was
adding IMGTEXT content to a site with a layout composed entirely of
floats. IMGTEXT caused no float-related problems of any kind.

In any case, it was previously possible to used the original imgtext
rendering by setting the compatibility mode to a number < 3.9. Has
this changed?

--
Christopher Torgalson
http://www.typo3apprentice.com/