[TYPO3-dev] Request for cleanup of typo3 database schema

Martin Kutschker martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net
Mon Mar 12 20:36:17 CET 2007

Sven Wilhelm schrieb:
>> FYI: The number in brackes does not signify the range of the integer,
>> but the default column width used in the shell. It can be omitted. And
>> INTEGER is just a synonyum for INT.
> yes, I know, but defining the display with should't be part of an sql
> definition.
>
> Real sql datatypes are:

How do you define "real"? Available on other major RDBMS'? Part of
ANSI-SQL? Fact is that all DB system have their proprietory features and
extend ANSI SQL in some way or other or have a "historic" syntax. IMHO
PostgreSQL is because of its academic background the most "clean" system
  and Mysql is definitely with the most hacks. But Mysql 5.0 and the
upcoming version are closer now to ANSI SQL (and Mysql used to have
comopatibility features for a very long time).

Note: there are other systems that have a one byte and a three byte
integer. Mysql is not alone :-)

> you: install a typo3 instance and use the typo3 installer to setup the
> database

Just an idea to solve you problem.

> so there are two possible ways to solve the automation:
>
> 1) have a universal sql file that is working on 3 or 4 major dbs
> 2) have an abstract definition an render a db specific sql schema
>
> at the moment I prefer 1)

The TYPO3 way is 2 (and is implemented already). Perhaps TYPO3 5.0 will
change that. Please post your ideas there. But I guess if we change to
something else it will be an XML meta format and no SQL file.

Masi