[TYPO3-dev] Request for cleanup of typo3 database schema

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Mon Mar 12 16:20:49 CET 2007

Sven Wilhelm schrieb:
>>Note: the tables.sql files are not meant to be fed directly into a
>>server that's not Mysql. Any changes to allow that are IMHO pointless.
>>We should only make sure they contain only definitions that are portable
>>and can be handled by DBAL.
>
> also sometimes overseen: sometimes there is a requirement for automation
> (custom shell tools for mass installations).
> and thereforce it's absolutely necessary to have real sql files available.

Sorry, this will not be possible. By definition the sql-files are Mysql
dumps. All DB portability is done in the installer and the EM (and the
DB-API). In fact even the sql files are not fed directly into Mysql.

If you have a look at ext_tables.sql you see fake CREATE TABLE statements
when only a few columns are added.

What you could do is create a TYPO3 installation on Mysql. Then dump the DB
with the PostgreSQL or ANSI-SQL compatibility switch (see Mysql docs).

If you don't like this you have to write an extension that parses all
sql-files and turns them into a PostgreSQL compatible format.

>>As I have said, this should be ok, but please report if you stuble
>>across real BLOBs.
>
> did you see any real blob field in the last years of typo3?

No, but I have not been looking for them. But if I want a stable system I
have to check before I change something.

Masi