[TYPO3-dev] Request for cleanup of typo3 database schema

Sven Wilhelm wilhelm at modulebox.com
Sat Mar 10 03:29:19 CET 2007

Hi,

> No, he isn't. He wrote: "I'd like to request the start for a cleanup of
> the typo3 database schema.". He requests something, not asks for
> comments...

make it short. the same evening I started with the task as we get problems
with the scalability of mysql. the myisam format is bad for scaling as it
locks complete tables, innodb "scales a little bit better" but blows up the
required space and a mix of both formats is bad.

so we have the requirements to migrate to postgres very fast.

I started to cleanup all int(xx) fields to INTEGERS, most int(1|3|4) to
BOOLEAN and all blob types to TEXT.

I converted varchar fields to the 3 lenght 64/128/255.

maybe some one thinks that's a bad idea to simplify it this way, I will know
much more after the weekend.

for a more advanced data management one shouldn't think in varchar or
something else but in datatype email (varchar(64)), url (varchar(255)),
document title (varchar(64/128/255)), name(varchar(64))

this way I do the cleanup.
will send a draft after my own tests on start of next week.

kind regards

sven