[TYPO3-dev] Request for cleanup of typo3 database schema

Peter Russ peter.russ at 4many.net
Fri Mar 9 07:18:08 CET 2007

Sven Wilhelm schrieb:
[...]
> as Ingo Renner has started to force an enlargement of the name and title
> attributes for the user and group informations, I would recommend to force
> a standard lengths for varchar fields, 2 or 3 different sizes (better than
> the mix at the moment).
>
> any feedback?
>
> I will filter the current schema to use theses standards and will test on a
> postgres. Any experiences welcome (not driving a postgres :) but problems
> in on or more parts of typo3).
>
> would be nice to see that cleanup as a part of 4.2.
[...]
Very interesting approach. I would prefer a solution to provide the
optimal solution for supported DBMS. By default the "standard" is just
a minimal compromise. But to get the best out of the system it might be
sometimes better to use the specifics of the DB beyond the "standard".
Plain example: MySQL with MyISAM or InnoDB: Fulltext required or not?

IMHO the schemes for the DB could work similar to the languages: the
default schemes is for MySql. And if you want to use a different DBMS
you change to the specific optimized scheme.

As in my understanding most people are using MySql. It might be a waste
of ressources to define how to reduce the field length and what could be
the standard. It could be much easier to set up the optimized version
MSSQL or PostgreSql. You know the old 80:20% problem ;-)

Just my 2 €cent.

Reggs. Peter.

--
Fiat lux!