[TYPO3-dev] true multi language support in templavoila

achim.gerber at typo3-china.com achim.gerber at typo3-china.com
Fri Jun 22 04:46:15 CEST 2007

Hi!

Probably most of the TYPO3 users work in countries where there is one language per iso code. If you want to have a look e.g. only china has about 9 official languages and much more living languages. See: http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=CN

When researching templavoila. I found out that the editorial data of feature content elements are saved in tt_content in the field tx_templavoila_flex

Since the two localized languages both have zh as iso code I changed the static_languages table to XX for traditional Chinese (static_lang_isocode = 24) for this test purpose (otherwise when editing the FCE the second language is not displayed)

Here is the XML section of the project title of the FCE:

                <field index="field_prj_title">

                    <value index="vDEF">l10n project</value>

                    <value index="vDE">l10n Projekt</value>

                    <value index="vXX">翻譯項目</value>

                    <value index="vZH">翻译项目</value>

                </field>

10 days ago I reported a bug:

Summary 0005777: FlexForms: chinese simplified and chinese traditional language translation can not be displayed on same server config

I worked a lot with bug tracking systems – but it is the first bug I reported in typo3 and I want to respect that things might be handled different…

I guess the decision to use iso codes to distinguish between different localized translations was made by the templavoila team. If  TV truly wants to do proper Multilanguage support it needs to have the flexibility to support languages of countries which are not represented as two character iso codes.

In the bug report I saw the following comment: Not related to templavoila, moving to "other extensions" category

I don’t mind which category this bug has, but I don’t want that it gets lost… In my opinion no other team than the templavoila team can solve this problem.

As experienced developer I would like to help but since the code of TV is very complex I need some help!

Any constructive response is welcome!

Greetings Achim