[TYPO3-dev] Workspaces and files support

Dobes Vandermeer dvandermeer at artlogic.com
Fri Jun 15 00:41:11 CEST 2007

I'm looking at the possibility of extending typo3 so that the workspaces
concept works for files.

Because the designers are entering filenames into their TemplaVoila
templates, we don't want to make existing files read-only in non-live
workspaces; we want to actually support multiple versions of each file
with the same name, so that an image can be updated by a designer without
changing all the pages that reference it, and their change only takes
effect when they push to the live workspace.

Unfortunately, I'm not a very experienced typo3 programmer at this point
(or you'd probably have heard more from me before).  I've figured a few
things out, but this task seems to require a more broad knowledge of
typo3, so I thought I'd ask whether any of the members of the developers
list could give me some pointers, like:

Is this even possible?  What if I only need to support the basic file
management functions and the references in templavoila pages, but not
other plugins and features "in general"?

What code should I be looking at?

Thanks!