[TYPO3-dev] development process

Elmar Hinz elmar07 at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 20 10:36:59 CEST 2007

Andrew Tabachyn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are starting Typo3 project right now in our company. It should be 4
> developers in this project. And we want to setup development process. We
> have such development process on our Java projects. We have something like
> this: 1. each developer has it's own development server on local computer
> with local database 2. we have building system like CruiseControl or
> Bamboo to build application periodically on test server for automated and
> manual tests. 3. we use CVS or SVN for source control and automation
> system also uses it.
>
> How to setup something like this for Typo3 project? Do you have any ideas?
> 1. I do not know how to mearch local databases with test database. It is
> needed because in typo3 we do many configuration during development and we
> have to do mearches. Can we use one database for all developers? any
> Ideas? 2. How to build authomatically Typo3 application. We can use Ant
> and CruiseControl. is it OK? maybe it is better to use something else? 3.
> What engine do you recomment for automation tests?
>
> Thank you,
> Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

my advice is, to organize the whole development in a modular way. Organize
everything in form of extensions, even the configurations. So your
components are reusable and easy to deploy.

Store all extensions into SVN as collaboration tool.

Write an add-on for the extension manager to update extensions direclty from
SVN instead of from TER. Share this usefull add-on with the community, for
all the good advices you got from the it.

Regards

Elmar