[TYPO3-dev] Creating a new cObj

Fri Jul 6 15:29:42 CEST 2007

Francois Suter wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am working on FE plugin and I thought it was important enough to
> declare it as a new cObj rather than just as a plugin, but I'm not
> entirely sure of what difference it makes.
>
> Hence the questions:
>
> - What could be the reasons for creating a new cObj?
> - What are the advantages with regard to making it a plugin?
>
> Thanks for enlightening me :-)

Hi,

guess you speak of content elements vs. plugins.

I think the main difference is usibility. A plugin is typically used one
time on a website, while a "content element" is used multiple times. So you
would not spoil the selection toplevel with plugins. You use a sublevel
location for them. Plugins are rather plugged in by admins than be editors.

Technically plugins have more functional features. Content Elements
typically have a content form. IMHO there is no real technical difference
apart from the different location.

Regards

Elmar