[TYPO3-dev] Can some page ID point to another database?

John Angel johnange at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 13:55:07 CET 2007

Hi,

To summarize the general idea: to be able to keep running Typo3 regardless
the (huge) amount of traffic. When some subdomain receives too much
traffic, we'll simply introduce new server and split the content to existing
and new one.

If one site consists of:

1) Templates
2) Templavoila related stuff
3) BE Users
4) FE Users
5) Site specific template extending General template (1)
6) Site content

Related database tables are:
(1) sys_templates, pages* and tt_content
(2) tx_templavoila_* tables + files in fileadmin directory
(3) be_*
(4) fe_*
(5) sys_templates, pages* and tt_content
(6) pages* and tt_content

It seems possible to use DBAL to keep majority of tables on main server, so
the other Typo3 servers can fetch them using DBAL per-table configuration.

Actually, for every new Typo3 server, we would tell DBAL to fetch these
tables from main database server:
be_*
fe_*
static_*
tx_templavoila_*
sys_* except sys_log and sys_stat

Remaining problem is what to do about overlapping tables in (1) and (6):
pages
pages_language_overlay
tt_content

Solutions can be:

1) To keep general content (general headers/footers, etc) in lower IDs than
content IDs and to synchronize them between database servers, as Elmar
suggested.

2) To keep general content in external files and to synchronize those files.

3) To avoid overlapping tables by introducing new table for keeping general
content.

Note: synchronizing files from fileadmin directory is necessary for every
new server - there are TV source files (HTML templates, CSS, images).

Am I missing something?

Many thanks,
John