[TYPO3-dev] Extension Manager / Repository -> Categories

Martin Härtl info-01 at martin-haertl.de
Thu Jan 11 15:32:05 CET 2007

Hi,

I often read in some forums "I need a extension for a image gallery.
Which one should i use? There are so many." In other is the question
"Can i do this ... with typo3?" There are so many extensions, that
nobody know about all and so some answers are not the best. The result
is, that the user say "I don't like typo3, it doesn't work." But it's
not typo3, it's the false extension. This ist not nice. To solve the
problem it will be great, if there will be some categories.

This is the way, how i would do it:
1. A Main-Category like "image-gallery", "calender" and so on.
2. The Main-Categories have 4 subcategories (big and supported, big and
unsupported, little and supported, little and unsupported)
Which Extensions are "supported":
- They must work with the newest version of typo3. The extensions can
have 3 status: Work, ?, Don't work. If a new Version 4.1.0 or 4.2.0 is
relast, all extensions are "?". The developers must set the extension to
"work" or "don't work".
- The author must have a interest to develop the extension. There a also
3 status: Develop, develop later, stop develop. The author must all 2
Month set his extensions to "develop".
- There must be a manual, if the extension must be configure
Big extensions must work with much data.

With this the user can very easy see, how are the Extension for perhaps
   calendars. I know, if the extension work or not. I see also, if the
author would devolop the extensions now or later. This importent,
because nobody would change every month a extension in his projekts. 2
Examples:
1. Image gallery: I go to the main-category and see, that there are many
big an little supported and unsupported. Now i see that i can work with
typo3 and a image gallery.
2. Forum: I go to the main-category and i see, that there are no big
supported but little unsopported forums. I need a big supported forum
and so typo3 is now a bad way for me.

Regards Martin