[TYPO3-dev] PEAR and TYPO3, are they enemies for eternaty?

Elmar HInz elmar.DOT.hinz at team.MINUS.red.DOT.net
Tue Jan 9 00:26:08 CET 2007

Hi,

PEAR and TYPO3, are they enemies for eternaty?

TYPO3 has developed an own system of names for classes and pathes, it has
developed an own repository, own accesstools for the repository and an own
installer. Because it is difficult to use the PEAR classes almoust
anything within TYPO3 has been reinvented.

That gives independence to the TYPO3 project, wich is an interesting
factor to reflect about and maybe there is some value in this. But we also
pay a very high price to develop all this features on our own, that we
coold take from other sources using the PEAR installer. I fear this will
be a growing disadvantage while other PEAR compatible frameworks arise all
around. Specially for extension developers it is a big advantage that they
don't have an easy access to PEAR resources.

I think we shouldn't wait for TYPO3 5.x for solutions, because I think
solutions would be possible allready now with few efforts.

1.) Setting up a PEAR directory inside TYPO3.

2.) Migrating the extensions automatically to a format that can be handled
    by the PEAR installer.

1.) The first step would by to set up a PEAR repository inside each TYPO3
installation and to add this include path to the directory. This directory
schould be writable by the normal TYPO3 adminstrator. No server root
access should be necessary. This could be done in the beginning by the
PEAR webfrontend manager, that may be implented into the Administration
tool later. That would enable the world of PEAR classes for the easy usage
by TYPO3 and it's extensions.

2.) The migration path would need to be specified in detail, how far an
    automated migraion to PEAR compatibility would be possibe.

What are your opinions apon this?

Regards

Elmar