[TYPO3-dev] Typo3 Performance

Nicolas Cohen nicolas at ranlogic.com
Tue Feb 27 15:59:14 CET 2007

Hello

i have just deployed a typo3 website and i'm having some performance
issues. i  have done most documented steps to improve performance but
its still behaving lame.
The server is a CentOS 4.2 with a 2.6 core, apache 2 and mysql 4. 512 Mb
  of RAM.

I'm using ab to benchmark, "ab -n 30 requestURL"

1. When i test on a plain file containing the rendered homepage's html,
it can handle 600+ requests per second.

2. When i test on a simple php file that does some image resizing code,
with a cache system that loads the resized image from hard disk once its
cached, i get 350-400 requests per second.

3. When i test on a typo3 page without one single line on the template
record, i get 15-20 requests per second.

4. When i test on a typo3 page with templavoila, a loaded template and
no content i get 8 requests per second. The template has 2 HMENUS and
evaluates login to render some content.

5. When i test on a typo3 page with templavoila and 3-4 tt_news
instances, 2 macinabanner instances and a few plain html, text and
similar non processed contente elements i get 1.8 requests per second.

6. I have tested removing macina banner and get 3 requests per second.
Removing both macinabanners and tt_news got me 6 requests per second.

Ok so now my question: Why is this happening? how can it be 1200 worse
performance than a plain file? I understand typo3 is really heavy cause
of its flexibility but it doesnt seem it is doing a well job in the
cache side... i would expect a 200 requests per second from the cache
system. it should save all rendered html to the cache and just load it
based on the url of the request, right?

Maybe when i evaluate login i am triggering some no_cache?

thanks in advance!

nicolas cohen