[TYPO3-dev] negate handling of extensions and page-types for BE-groups

Franz Koch typo at fx.MINUS.graefix.DOT.de
Sat Feb 17 13:19:33 CET 2007

Hi,

I have a suggestion for a better rights handling for BE-groups. Currently you have to disable certian pagetypes and extensions that should not be available for a BE user. This causes several problems with nested BE-groups. A once disable pagetype or extension cannot be allowed from another BE-group. It'll be better if by default ALL pagetypes and extensions would be disabled (like for the allowed fields and modules) and have to be enabled for the groups. The big advantage would be that groups can be nested, the rights sum up and that something like a 'master editor' can be created without to have to build it from scratch.

My scenario of groups for maybe better understanding:
- regular editor (can edit normal page-content - and one extension is allowed)
- calendar rights (a rights setup for managing calendar records)
- news rights (a rights setup for managing news records)
- newsletter (a rights setup for newsletters)
- ...
- master editor (has all other groups as sub-groups as he only should be able to do all of this + some additional stuff)

For the master editor it is possible to create backend-users and attach the BE-groups to them for appropriate rights - but the rights should sum up and not be reduced among them.

So, the problem is that f.e. the master editor (who has all other groups as sub-group) is limited with the possible extensions through the regular editor - it is not possible to allow one more extension. Ok, it is possible, but only if I build the master-editor from scratch, check the allowed fields again, ... and have to update several groups if one thing changes :(
Same goes for other BE-users that have multiple sub-groups.

I don't get the idea behind this handling as it works the other way around for everything else?

Do you think such a change might get into 4.1?
--
Kind regards,
Franz Koch