[TYPO3-dev] String Handling in Extensions

Steffen Kamper steffen at dislabs.de
Thu Apr 12 23:19:42 CEST 2007

"Ries van Twisk" <typo3 at rvt.dds.nl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:mailman.139891.1176409925.21067.typo3-dev at lists.netfielders.de...

>> "Ries van Twisk" <typo3 at rvt.dds.nl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> news:mailman.139617.1176404290.21067.typo3-dev at lists.netfielders.de...
>>> hey Steffen,
>>>
>>> as soon as you work with other locales that can be multi-byte
>>> then you should use these functions.
>>> This is also true for values that come from posts/get's
>>> when the website was set to multu-byte like utf-8.
>>>
>>> Ries
>>>

>> Hi Ries,
>>
>> you're right. So if the extension should work with all multibyte  langs.
>> it
>> should only use this functions.
>> But i've not seen them used in extionsions before. Does this means  an
>> ext
>> like tt_news gets in trouble on a chinese page ?
> Yes :)
>
> Personally I don't use them much myself...
> One solution what chinese people could do is
> map the mb version to the single byte versions
> and they are good again.. properly they have done that by default?!?!

How does that works ? I never heard of this possibility.

> Even core doesn't do it correct, since I had a template in Estonia
> language
> that was not parsed correctly and it happend to be
> down the line that one of the string functions went 'haywire'.

so this should be reported to bt

> The good/bad thing is that errors don't happen to often thank
> to the smart guys of unicode.com that created utf-8.

utf8 is multibyte too, string function that work with byte fails.

> However since errors are hard to detect (can you read chinese??)
No :-) I'm happy that i didn't worked with utf16 or 32, utf8 is hard enough
:-)

> it's also hard to debug and unfortunately PHP 'thinks' latin1.

php with ki ? (just kidding)

> So in short, extensions might get into trouble,
> they don't have to get in trouble.
>
> For example concate functions like . will goes likly ok.
> strlen can and will go wrong and returns the incorrect
> number of characters (strlen returns bytes).
>
> Other functions like strpos() might go wrong,
> but you can use strpos to find a chinese character
> if you like, but think binary!!!

for this the cs-library is expected - we should use it.

> typo3 tries to solve it with the locale class,
> I used it a couple of times where I knew
> it could go wrong.... But like you and many other
> we don't use them often enough!!!
>

> Ries

Yes, this shows this very clear. Maybe an article can help to spread the
info to the devs.
I don't want to say, that we have to use it, but every dev should know about
the problems behind.

vg  Steffen