[TYPO3-dev] FYI nested sets on the pages table

Martin Kutschker martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net
Mon Apr 9 19:23:57 CEST 2007

Ries van Twisk schrieb:

>> No, a temporary table is visible only to to the current DB session. But
>> you are right when it comes to connection pooling. In this case the
>> table is a problem (but of course this may be solved by adding an extra
>> id field that is filled with a random key).
>
> Indeed, since the connection is shared this might be a problem,
> Normally a TEMP table is created globally in the DB
> according to ANSI SQL (if I remember correctly).

AFAIK implementations vary in this point. Mysql makes them only
available to the current sessions (see docs).

  > However,
> a nested set can also be solved for questions like:
>
> - Give me the latest 10 tt_content records under some page.

How?

And how do you want to set up a nested set for the content? For now we
have only been talking about arranging the pages themselves in a nested
set. Any "child records" would be attached directly to the pages (via
pid). And honestly, how often do you need a restriction like in your
example? The common case is give me all records (of current
langange/column) and that is fast with the simple but effective
implementation we have.

Masi