[TYPO3-dev] FYI nested sets on the pages table

Martin Kutschker martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net
Sun Apr 8 16:34:36 CEST 2007

John Angel schrieb:
>> after the discussion in the thread 'Typo3 Performance',
>> we where discussion the about if we could use Celko's neted
>> set to improve performance using specific operations.
>>
>> The extension I made is called : nestedsets_pages.
>
> This is an excellent ext, should be implemented for rootline/menu in
> Typo3 core?

How to proceed: create a large (!) page tree and use the extension.
Implement an alternative way to create rootline menus with the nested
set. Then measure the performance for both methods.

A standard menu will not be faster because it's easy to select by pid
(and we have a pid/sorting index). A rootline menu could be faster but I
have seen some tests that show it isn't. But we should check ourselves.

But the nested set will be faster when it comes in retrieving a whole
branch of the tree.

Masi

PS: the fastest way to get a rootline is perhaps a stored procedure.