[TYPO3-dev] more than 10 checkboxes in $TCA?

Martin Kutschker martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net
Tue Apr 3 17:53:36 CEST 2007

Stefan Beylen schrieb:
> hi list!
>
> http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/core-documentation/doc_core_api/4.0.0/view/4/2/#id2814416
>

> says:
>
> items
> Notice: You can have a maximum of 10 checkboxes in such an array and
> each element is represented by a single bit in the integer value which
> ultimately goes into the database.
>
> I need more though (15-20), and it seems not to be a problem to insert
> more manually... what problems do I have to expect (except long integers
> in the database)

You machine (and PHP) must use (unsigned) integers with enough bytes to
store your flags. With a 32-bit/4-byte integer you should be able to
hold 30 checkboxes savely. This takes a sign bit into account and has a
spare bit, which I have heard, may be impose a problem on some
architectures (which?).

I don't know if the Core has any real restriction on the number of
checboxes. But 20 checkboxes are not a real beauty ;-)

Masi