[TYPO3-dev] set_no_cache is bad. What's next?

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon Apr 2 16:37:46 CEST 2007

Martin Kutschker wrote: on 02.04.2007 16:17:

>> If the child ever becomes feature complete, it can start walking on it's
>> own legs. Until then it needs the parent. :-)
>> For now it's just a patch. As you have observed there is no chance to
>> change tslib_pibase itself, so we can only "patch it by inheritence".
>
> pibase is not that large. And I don't like most of the query generating
> stuff which is not needed for all plugins anyway. Make it lean and start
> with a basic plugin (no DB interface) and add a child class for Db
> oriented plugins.

But we need the functions that pibase offer from start, else most of the
"fun" code generated by kickstarter won't be possible, and then we have
a kickstarter that does very little for a beginner. So I think the
minimum set of features we need in the new "base" class is that what
kickstarter already can do. And Elmars idea of inheriting pibase is that
we don't need to implement everything right now, but we can do little
fiddlings in kickstarter to adapt to "base" but still use "pibase" when
"base" has no solution yet.

I agree it is not the ideal world extending pibase with base, but on the
other hand, who is willing to give us the new functionality of pibase
and a complete new kickstarter substitute to use these new stuff? I
would say that we don't have the manpower to do that yet. But we don't
really need to wait until we have a "full blown" base/kickstarter
combination, if we do it step by step. Once everything is in place in
base (maybe in TYPO3 4.5) and kickstarter doesn't require any stuff from
pibase anymore, we can put the child out of its home and call it "grown
up". The pibase senior will then go into pension ("obsolete") but remain
there for the "old school" extensions.

Cheers,
Ernesto