[TYPO3-dev] t3lib_div:xml2array() and PHP 4.4.x

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Fri Sep 8 10:13:34 CEST 2006

Martin Kutschker schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> The code has a switch for PHP 5.x to use the XML_OPTION_TARGET_ENCODING
> option.
>
> While devolping an extension it occured to me that this is also
> necessary for PHP 4.4.0.
>
> Can anybody confirm this? It's not mentioned in the PHP docs, but
> setting the option makes my code work ;-)

Aha! New infos:

My editor on Windows adds byte order mark (BOM) at the beginning of the
file. It adds the correct sequence EF BB BF to signify UTF-8.

But this affects how the data is treated by PHP on Linux. If I remove the
BOM everyting is fine otherwise I get garbled data unless I set the target
encoding.

As a BOM is a Unicode feature and I doesn't have always the choice of input
methods I think that TYPO3 should handle such a case consitently across PHP
  platforms (version and OS). Therefore I suggest to look for the BOM and
if a UTF-8 BOM is found to set XML_OPTION_TARGET_ENCODING.

Masi