[TYPO3-dev] typo3 5.0

R. van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Tue Oct 31 13:54:59 CET 2006

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> R. van Twisk schrieb:
>
>> However the update scripts are a lot easer doing this in the
>> XML then with serialized arrays...
>>

> As an update script runs only once this doesn't matter much. I can live
> with XML, but to be hinest I don't think that storing XML in a DB is a
> great idea. I know that XMLpath support has been added to some systems,
> but still I think the idea isn't so good and to me it's just a hype.
>
> And as for your conversion concerns. a) I don't share them and think I
> could handle the upgrade well if I wanted to. b) TYPO3 should not waste
> resources and throw away speed gains because some updates are not easy.
> Why should TYPO3 provide an "instant update" to utf8?
>
> Masi

I Masi,

I think I did misunderstood you.  I thought you where working on  a easy
update script.
Sorry about that...

There are indeed RDBM systems that can index XML field types. So getting
information
from them is fast. The problem still is there thet currently in typo3 the
encoding type is stored in the XML 'field'. Which makes updating data
whether it's in XML
or in serialized arrays difficult.

Ries

--