[TYPO3-dev] typo3 5.0

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Mon Oct 30 15:07:02 CET 2006

R. van Twisk schrieb:

> be careful with serialized arrays in a database.
> If your data is in latin1, and at some point you want to upgrade
> to utf-8 (database) then your serialized arrays might break.
> when you let iconv  or mysql do the conversion.

How come? Why did iconv break your array?

I know only one reason it will break: you have windows-1252 in your DB (IE
has the nice habit to allow this) and iconv stops whenever it encounters an
invalid character. So I usually tell iconv to convert from windows-1252 to
UTF-8.

But if was the case then also XML would have been broken along with regular
text data.

So I am warned, but I am a bit lost on the cause of the warning.

Masi