[TYPO3-dev] Fail-safe mechanism for database connectivityproblem

Martin Kutschker martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net
Fri Oct 6 17:10:50 CEST 2006

John Angel schrieb:
>> In what way do you need advice?
>
> Masi, don't you think that it's not professional that user who visits Typo3
> powered website gets 'Database problem'? We are all using free tools, so
> this things happen, believe it or not.

I'm not a native English speaker so I may not understand the word
"advice" fully. As far as I understand you were asking for help how to
do things. But what kind of advice do you need? Your post has a pretty
good summary. Do you need comments on your scheme? I have answered you.
  Do you need help coding? I may be of service but I certainly won't do
the job.

> There are several extensions for exporting to static HTML pages.
> Obviously I
> am not the only one who needs fail-safe mechanism.

There are several reason why you need to export static pages. A
fail-safe mechanism is only one of them. I doubt that this is the main
motivation of some or even all of them.

> The idea is to make this thing part of Typo3 core. Since there is
> [FE][pageCacheToExternalFiles] system in place, there's gotta be a way of
> incorporating fail-safe, also.

Yes, also this feature can be used (alternatively to the hook I menioned).

> All problematic issues can be masked/solved somehow during the 'fail' time.
> I don't expect that really dynamic parts (search, restricted areas) of site
> function perfectly - 'fail' is just temporary situation until webmaster
> solves database connectivity issue.

So what? I told you that you're request can be fulfilled. I pointed out
only some issues to be tackled, but there are no show stoppers. Go ahead
and code.

Masi