[TYPO3-dev] Setting default language / iso-8859-1 to utf-8

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Fri Oct 6 14:22:47 CEST 2006

Hi!

John Angel wrote:
>> The fact that TYPO3 encodes locallang.xml in UTF-8 does NOT mean you can
>> use every Unicode character for any language. TYPO3 still expects that a
>> UTF8 string in locallang may be recoded to the "native" charset of the
>> language without any loss.
>>
>> eg Cyrillic within "de" is not possible.
>
> Why making such limitations? What's the purpose of it?

Martin said about "native" charset and he is right. It is impossible to
use cyrillic letters in iso-8859-1 simply because they are absent there.
This is not typo3 limitation.

>> As Michael explained, "default" section is always English. Normally you
>> need not utf-8 chars there.
>
> There is no reason to limit default section to English, also.

But it works so. We cannot let one extension put English to "default"
and another extension to put French there. This is how it works: English
is default. But you may substitue any other language for default in FE
using "config.language = de" (in this case default becomes german).

> Of course I did that, but it doesn't have anything to do with garbled chars
> in localang.xml.

There cannot be any garbled characters in locallanf.xml because
locallang.xml is always in utf-8.

> The complete story is very simple: to change default language to whatever
> people want. Currently it's hard-coded to English. No reason for that.

Well, I am a bit tired repeating the same thing about changing default
language to your needs. I wrote solution at least three times already.

--
Dmitry Dulepov

Web: http://typo3bloke.net/
Skype: callto:liels_bugs