[TYPO3-dev] Fail-safe mechanism for database connectivityproblem

R. van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Fri Oct 6 13:55:25 CEST 2006

John Angel wrote:
>> In what way do you need advice?
>>

> Masi, don't you think that it's not professional that user who visits Typo3
> powered website gets 'Database problem'? We are all using free tools, so
> this things happen, believe it or not.
>
> I thought we are here to make Typo3 the best CMS available. That is all I
> 'need'.
>
> There are several extensions for exporting to static HTML pages. Obviously I
> am not the only one who needs fail-safe mechanism. See for yourself:
> http://typo3.org/fileadmin/t3n/articles/t3n_static_publish_english.pdf
> http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/view/dr_publisher/0.0.1/
> http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/view/real_publish/0.0.1/
> http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/view/itxg_staticexport/0.0.1/
>
> The idea is to make this thing part of Typo3 core. Since there is
> [FE][pageCacheToExternalFiles] system in place, there's gotta be a way of
> incorporating fail-safe, also.
>
> All problematic issues can be masked/solved somehow during the 'fail' time.
> I don't expect that really dynamic parts (search, restricted areas) of site
> function perfectly - 'fail' is just temporary situation until webmaster
> solves database connectivity issue.

Now that question will be....
What fail save mechanism do we need to have in place when apache dies??

A better way of error reporting to the client (webuser) aswel as the
webmaster? Yes, that might be a good idea...
I am not sure what is currently already in place..

Try to do our best to serve 'some' content? No.... Most open source DB
systems are stable enough
to not die under normal conditions. When a DB dies, it mostly part of a
bigger problem like
HD's full or anything else... We can't fail safe for everything..

Just my two cents

--
Ries van Twisk
Freelance Typo3 Developer