[TYPO3-dev] Google eMail accounts for your domain

Andreas Balzer eMail at andreas-balzer.de
Sun Oct 1 18:16:22 CEST 2006

R. van Twisk schrieb:
> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>> JoH schrieb:
>>
>>> But where's the difference to other E-Mail Accounts?
>>>

>> IMHO little. The point is for me that if I use any Webmail it is my
>> personal decision to do so. But if any organisation is outsourcing the
>> mail service they "provide" I have no control at all.
>>
>> Yes, SMTP is not secure (without GPG or S/MIME etc) but I have faith
>> that my partners want do anything specual with the mails but I do not
>> trust any Webmailer to do likewise, especially Google.
>>
>> Masi
>>
> I do understand Andreas point of view using a provider for mail because
> the university doesn't want or can't spend any money on this technology.
> My knowledge about universities is that although they might not have
> a budget for IT, they really should have, they also if it for electricity,
> gas, water, light pay the teachers.... IT should be part of that budget.
Sorry to say, German schools have an IT budget of 0 EUR.. We were
working with Windows 98 'til 2 months ago. Now we use Windows 2000. But
the systems are so slow, that they need 10 mins to boot.. (sometimes)

I mean i'm not able to change anything on this issue, but sometimes it
makes me sad, as i am responsible for our website (they don't even pay
much for the hosting and nothing for a consultancy.. (0 EUR budget..))

BTW: Is there any european organization helping schools to keep on time
with the IT systems?

> I also think that it's a universities responsibility is to have a method
> to do spam scanning /blocking and keep any other unwanted mail out of
> there system. For a universities perspective I also think it's there
> responsibility to think about keeping porn out of there system (specially
> porn with kids), illegal software MP·'3 etc. By heaving there own
> mail system in house, they also have the possibility to track and
> find out who was the victim (in case of porn), and where the mail
> was send from etc etc, thus heaving a method to log activity.

Well, it kinda works with Google too. But the problem of course is, that
the eMails are stored in your spamfolder there.. However.. If any
student does things he is not supposed to do (by terms of use), we'll
get informed.

> It's under some situations good to give out complex technology
> to other parties, however I don't think that google is the right partner
> for
> organizations of this size.

In a certain way it's true, but the budget say "Yeappy! Something for
free! :)"

Ok.. However. I think i have explained, why we are using this service.
It would be nice, if anyone can tell me, whether he can create such an
extension for free.. As you can see in the document linked on our
website, Google's API is a simple XML Request system.. We only would
like to have the possibility to create a Google email account with the
information you provide while you register for a T3 account. The
passwords should be the same and the email should be something like
{username}_studentatess at ess-erfurt.de or something like this..

Is it possible?

Greetings
Andreas