[TYPO3-dev] Core Behaviour: Using Cache-Control Headers to prevent _Clients_ from Caching

Ekkehard Gümbel guembel.remove-this at naw.de
Tue Nov 21 19:06:00 CET 2006

Martin Kutschker schrieb:
> Interestingly the "Pragma: no-cache" is in the code but commented out.
I guess that was somebodys (i.e. Kasper's) first draft, before Ole reviewed it.

> Hm, I usally trust the specs, but may Ole has tested enough browsers and
> has a reason not to use "Pragma: no-cache" .
What Specs do you mean? The RFC reads
   Note: because the meaning of "Pragma: no-cache" as a response
   header field is not actually specified, it does not provide a
   reliable replacement for "Cache-Control: no-cache" in a response
I (like many) suggest to send it anyway, in addition to the rest - it does not harm.

>> Tt is not that TYPO3 explicitely allows client side caching, it just
>> does not prevent IE from doing it (BTW: Firefox behaves different)
>
> Sending "Cache-Control: private" allows it. If clients don't do what
> they are told to is another matter.
You are right, "private" allows but does not require client caching.

> My point was to force the client to refetch the document every time
> (accurate dynamic data).
Back to the original question: Do we need to have it configurable? If yes, what options (behaviour, not names
;-)?

greets
/Ekki