[TYPO3-dev] Creating an image-processing framework

Andreas Wolf ng at nospam.andreaswolf.info
Thu Nov 16 21:54:21 CET 2006

> I think this is not a problem since we have a monthly release cycle. In
> fact, the image-processsing _must_ remain in the core as a system
> extension...
Yes, I never meant to make image-processing optional - having this built-in
is one of the biggest advantages TYPO3 has over other CMS. But it could be
moved to a separate system-extension that may be updated independently from
the core (= typo3_src and ext. cms). This extension could then
provide "drivers" for IM 4/5/6 and GD, the GM-driver could be separate, and
perhaps Netpbm and Jhead/whatever you like to have ;)

After Ernestos hint, I already had a rough look at the Gallery2 way of
implementing this. I think there are some really interesting points in it,
but it's too early to say anything definite by now.

Andreas