[TYPO3-dev] Feedback Request: Inline-Relational-Record-Editing

David Bruehlmeier typo3 at bruehlmeier.com
Wed Nov 15 19:23:47 CET 2006

Hi Olly,

I have implemented IRRE for the extension 'partner' to have a 'real
life' example to play with.

Result: The change was very easy. Change the TCA definition, add a new
field to tables.sql and it was up and running. Great!

I have tested with 'collapseAll' set true.

Issues / Nice-to-haves
----------------------
- The mouseovers (alt tags?) of the icons on the right-hand side of the
label (e.g. show info, history, etc.) don't work
- The 'Display Change History / Undo' icon doesn't work
- The 'Hide Record' icon doesn't work
- Deleting the record works, but I noticed that the record only gets
deleted once the 'master' record is saved. This is IMO againgst user
'intuition'. The systems asks the user if he wants to delete the record,
he answers yes; the expectation is that after answering yes, the record
is deleted.
- NEW: I would appreciate if this label was not bold and uppercase, but
simply 'New'. Uppercase and bold is too much emphasizing. After the
'New', adding the label of the record would improve usability IMO, e.g.
'New Contact Information'. Perhaps even 'Add new Contact Information'.
- After Clicking NEW, with collapseAll an, the new record is also
collapsed. It would be better if the newly created record was _not_
collapsed so it can be directly filled in without an additional click to
expand the record.
- The 'child'-record in my example has a type-field which refreshes the
screen. So when I create a new 'child'-record and change the type, the
screen reloads and the new record is saved (TYPO3 standard behaviour).
After this reload however, it would be nice if the new record was
expanded again so I can continue to edit the new record.
- It would be nice if the position of the 'NEW' icon could be configured
(top, bottom, both)
- It would be nice if the appearance of the header of a child record
could be configured (styling, which buttons are available). Maybe even
place a hook after everything is rendered so everything can be
individually influenced?

Getting the label of the record
-------------------------------
This is only indirectly related to IRRE, but still I would like to point
this out. The logic for getting the label of a record is spread in
multiple places already and with IRRE, yet another place is added. I
think this would be a good time to correct this:

- Implement a central method for getting the label of a record (t3lib_div ?)
- Change all places in the core, where the label is created to this
central method
- Plus: Add a hook in the central method so the label can be created by
a user function

I have already put a similar request in the bug tracker a while ago (but
I think a hook in a central method would make more sense):
http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=2979

If anybody is interested to play around with the modified
partner-version, just send me a mail and I'll send it to you.

Greetings,
Dave.