[TYPO3-dev] Creating an image-processing framework

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Wed Nov 15 10:12:36 CET 2006

Andreas Wolf schrieb:

> An idea that came to my mind is that a component similar to the DBAL, but
> for graphics-processing, could help here. I imagine it to be a new
> service-type, let's call it imageProc. This service implements several
> subtypes, one for each "supported" image-type (jpeg, gif, png, ai, pdf, tif
> etc). The service-implementations internally handle what to do when asked
> for resizing, cropping, rotating, blurring and so on. This would also make
> it easier to introduce support for new ip-frameworks into TYPO3, e.g.
> GraphicsMagick (I know, it's already supported... Just an example ;)).

The idea is not new. Generally I think that it is a good idea, but I could
never solve one issue: the optimizing of multiple operations. Do you go for
quality (always use best service) or speed (use only one when possible,
preferrably in memory like GD or with on exec and long argument list)?

Note that you should not group the services around file formats but image
operations. It might make sense to convert the input file into an internal
format do some processing and then convert it to the output format. The
real types are based on the used colour-depth and the use of palettes
(indices).

Masi