[TYPO3-dev] Open-XChange vs. Kolab

Christian Jul Jensen christian at jul.net
Thu May 25 16:11:30 CEST 2006

Hi Dmitri

Dimitri Tarassenko wrote:

> On 5/25/06, Christian Jul Jensen <christian at jul.net> wrote:

> And this is relevant how? What are you trying to say - that people who
> use TYPO3 would not have Exchange or would have a pirated copy of it?

No, your claim was that a connector would still be OpenSource, and my
comment is that while it is, it is still not useful if you don't invest in
licenses anyway. The point being that it doesn't make a big different as
free software.

The point about stealing is maybe a little off, but come on how many private
people do you know that found the products good enough to pay the license
for it? They might have license for windows because it was packaged for
their hardware, but they don't for office / photoshop etc.

http://typo3.org/about/about-typo3/

> Second, following your logic,
> FreeTDS, samba, unixODBC, ghostscript, ntfs kernel module are not
> innovative, free or excellent?

I dont agree that you can deduct that from my stmt. But, let me moderate
that: Given the fact that we don't have an unlimited resources, I think
that we should use the ones we have on colloborating software that is as
close to our goals as possible.

> If I wanted to make an INVESTMENT, I would hire people to write
> is or we would do it in-house, and kept it proprietary.

This very clearly states the difference between your point of view and mine,
please tell me why Elmar should invest his time in programming a connector
to Exchange and sharing it with you, when you would never do the same
thing?

> If you ask
> people to give their money/time to GPL or TYPO3 cause, the word is
> DONATE, unless you want to sound like a girlscout asking if anyone
> would be interested in investing in a box of cookies.

I disagree, I consider the time and money I spent on TYPO3 an investment, it
enables me to run ny business and make a living from it. I also do it for
idealogic reasons and because it's fun and I have a lot of friends in the
community. These are things I also like to invest my resources in.

> The time is to get real and aknowledge that at least some Microsoft
> products are popular not because some Microsoft is a greedy monopolist
> monster, but because they (the products) are good. And
> Exchange/Outlook is a prime example of such a product.

I never claimed otherwise. I only stated that I don't think we should spent
time on supporting non-free software.

> Yes, and the government of Tuvalu recently switched from wooden
> abacuses to plastic ones. Point is - who cares,

Well, lets sponsor them solar-powered calculators and teach them how to use
them, so they at least have the option, and the knowledge to make an
informed decision.

--
- Christian Jul Jensen

TYPO3 core developer (http://TYPO3.org)