[TYPO3-dev] Open-XChange vs. Kolab

Dimitri Tarassenko mitka at mitka.us
Thu May 25 15:14:35 CEST 2006

Christian,

On 5/25/06, Christian Jul Jensen <christian at jul.net> wrote:

> > A connector to a proprietary system is still going to be open source,
> > if I understand the DONATE part right.
> True, but still useless if you don't have a license (or steal one) for the
> product as well as an OS you can execute it on.

And this is relevant how? What are you trying to say - that people who
use TYPO3 would not have Exchange or would have a pirated copy of it?

> The mission of the TYPO3 project is to 'innovate excellent free software', a
> connector to a non-free software are hardly within these goals.

May I ask for a source of this quote? Second, following your logic,
FreeTDS, samba, unixODBC, ghostscript, ntfs kernel module are not
innovative, free or excellent?

> I don't mind if someone creates an Outlook/Sharepoint connector, but it
> should be funded by someone who has this as this as a priority, which is
> not the case for neither the TYPO3 project or Elmar. My guess is that the
> only people who wants this is those who loose money from clients, so why
> don't you make an investment?

I don't lose money on it. I can get all the information I need from
Exchange I need into TYPO3 with homemade bits and pieces, it just
doesn't happens to be a single login or anything close to what Elmar
wants. If I wanted to make an INVESTMENT, I would hire people to write
is or we would do it in-house, and kept it proprietary. If you ask
people to give their money/time to GPL or TYPO3 cause, the word is
DONATE, unless you want to sound like a girlscout asking if anyone
would be interested in investing in a box of cookies.

> > M$-bashing is so  passé.
> Yeah, the time is up for bashing free software?

The time is to get real and aknowledge that at least some Microsoft
products are popular not because some Microsoft is a greedy monopolist
monster, but because they (the products) are good. And
Exchange/Outlook is a prime example of such a product.

> > But thousands of TYPO3 users
> > do. Yeah right, let's try pushing them to drop Exchange and install
> > Kolab ;))))
>
> As far as I know Kolab is funded by the city of Munich(?), the danish
> government is taking decisions upon supporting open standards.

Yes, and the government of Tuvalu recently switched from wooden
abacuses to plastic ones. Point is - who cares, if even you don't
remember exactly was it Munich or not. Speaking of which, Munich IT
made such fools of themselves with their public Linux migration/not
migration bruhaha, they are hardly an example for anybody.

--
Dimitri Tarassenko