[TYPO3-dev] Open-XChange vs. Kolab

Christian Jul Jensen christian at jul.net
Thu May 25 10:52:30 CEST 2006

Dimitri Tarassenko wrote:

> On 5/25/06, Christopher <bedlamhotel at gmail.com> wrote:

> A connector to a proprietary system is still going to be open source,
> if I understand the DONATE part right.

True, but still useless if you don't have a license (or steal one) for the
product as well as an OS you can execute it on.

> Picking a 1000 times less
> popular product to integrate with over a more popular, but proprietary
> just because the latter happens to be made by Microsoft does not sound
> like a solid technological decision or a wise use of own time. Plus,

The mission of the TYPO3 project is to 'innovate excellent free software', a
connector to a non-free software are hardly within these goals.

I don't mind if someone creates an Outlook/Sharepoint connector, but it
should be funded by someone who has this as this as a priority, which is
not the case for neither the TYPO3 project or Elmar. My guess is that the
only people who wants this is those who loose money from clients, so why
don't you make an investment?

> M$-bashing is so  passé.

Yeah, the time is up for bashing free software?

> Microsoft doesn't give a flying duck if some TYPO3 can or cannot act
> as a front-end to Sharepoint/Exchange.

Right, in fact they are doing what they can to not have TYPO3 act as an
frontend by keeping their protocols closed. Ask Rupert about the office XML
format.

> But thousands of TYPO3 users
> do. Yeah right, let's try pushing them to drop Exchange and install
> Kolab ;))))

As far as I know Kolab is funded by the city of Munich(?), the danish
government is taking decisions upon supporting open standards. Supporting
closed standards is a waste of time IMHO. So passé :)

--
- Christian Jul Jensen

TYPO3 core developer (http://TYPO3.org)
Professional webdeveloper (http://jul.net)