[TYPO3-dev] Referencing files instead of copying

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Tue May 9 10:44:47 CEST 2006

Hi Robert,

Conceptually it is forbidden to have M-1 references to files in
"uploads/" so what you are asking is not a switch in the install tool
but a new file-field type that doesn't copy the file but references
it (like other records could so do as well). This has been planned
for a long time but I don't know if anyone is actively working on it.
It is not a simple patch, it must be implemented so the reference
table and everything else acknowledges the status of a reference and
not a 1-1 relation (so for instance the file is not deleted when a
refering record is).

- kasper