[TYPO3-dev] JS code from class.tslib_fe doesn't work with xhtml strict and IE

Joern Bock j.bock at byteventure.de
Mon May 8 13:25:17 CEST 2006

Hi developers,
I already posted this in the english group without any response. Please
forgive me if I address that particular problem for a second time.

Using the RO function in the HMENU like
NO.beforeImg = sth.gif
NO.beforeROImg = sth_ro.gif
NO.RO = 1

generates a code (from class.tslib_fe.php) like this:

// JS function for mouse-over
     function over(name,imgObj)    {    //
         if (version == "n3" && document[name]) ...
         else if (typeof(document.getElementById) ...
         else if (imgObj)    {imgObj.src = ...
     }
// JS function for mouse-out
     function out(name,imgObj)    {    //
         if (version == "n3" && document[name]) ...
         else if (typeof(document.getElementById) ...
         else if (imgObj)    {imgObj.src = ...
     }

After configuration the doctype to be HTML strict:
config.doctype = xhtml_strict
the IE (6.0) refuses to show any rollover effect. One step back to xhtml
transitional and the IE works perfekt. Obviously there is a XHTML-strict
problem with the generated JavaScript code. Btw, Firefox is fine with
strict and trans.

Does these error belongs to any specific settings or is it a mere Typo3
bug? What do you think?

Cheers,
Joern