[TYPO3-dev] EM, TER2, XML and other animals

Martin Ficzel martin.ficzel at gmx.de
Fri May 5 11:05:41 CEST 2006

Simon Child schrieb:
> "Martin Ficzel" <martin.ficzel at gmx.de> wrote in message
> news:mailman.1.1146730190.3919.typo3-dev at lists.netfielders.de...
>
>> there are 2 options
>>
>> [ ] 1. typo3 is a professional tool for dedicated servers. problems with
>> some shared hosts will be ignored.
>>
>> [ ] 2. we see that the new em is consuming a enourmous mass of ram but
>> wi did'nt find the time to fix it yet. lets discuss how to make it better.
>
> There's a problem with selecting option one, even if it is true. I first
> tried out Typo3 on a shared server account. It ran slowly but I could see
> how it worked. Then I got a dedicated server once I knew I was going to use
> it. I wouldn't have got a dedicated server just to try it out!

i think there is another point.

if typo3 wants to grow (and i think it wants). it needs people who know
how to use it as admin, developer and user. some of the marketing gys
called that viral marketing.

many people learn on small hosting packges and few people want to learn
on localhost.

even worse if many people get annoyed because thy were not able to
install typo3 on their server the reputation of typo3 will decrease and
we will have to explain to our customers why we want to use such a
sensitive tool.

on the other hand that would make typo3 more exclusive :-)). but i doubt
that this is intended.

as an example i didn't work with zope yet because i had no server
available wich was powerfull enogh.

so i think the compatibility with samller servers is a key feature for a
growing comunity.

regards Martin