[TYPO3-dev] EM, TER2, XML and other animals

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Thu May 4 14:53:09 CEST 2006

Martin Kutschker wrote:

> XML would have been the best choice as it's really an external
> representation of the data. I'm still wondering - and don't believe it
> really - that unserializing also breaks on servers with limited memory.

I was also interested in this issue and feared that EM would use DOM for
parsing but it doesn't, but uses plain expat-like sequential parsing, so
extracting information should not be too hard on cpu and memory.

The memory hog is the (double) de-serialisation of the extension data
into one huge array which is not necessary because you can query the XML
data with a simple SAX parser or using XPATH etc. That's actually the
only reason I see for using XML at all...

Cheers,
Michael