[TYPO3-dev] Offer to make imagemagick work out of the box in T3 4.0

Elias Humbolt elias at asb-online.at
Mon May 1 17:10:04 CEST 2006

Since it looks like nobody pays attention to the thread I started anymore I
have to start a new thread to provide you with this new information. This has
to be seen as an addition to my previous mail:
[TYPO3-dev] ImageMagick - you'll never get it right!
from April 18th 2006 (initial mail attached below)

----------------------
I am refering to this: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=1188

Here a summary:
* Source of the imagemagick problem is not that imagemagick changed the way
the interpret mask files (no negation there)!
* What happened is that some command line arguments traded places (which makes
it look like mask files need to be negated).
* The logical solution would be to accommodate this change in the order of
arguments in the function that calls imagemagick (easy?)!
* BUT instead the T3 does negate the mask.
* AND it does not negate the mask in just one place - in the function which
calls imagemagick - NO, it does it in every function that uses the
imagemagick-calling function (crazy, what a huge overhead in code and
processing time).

Moreover, the 123-installer called the imagemagick-calling function directly
not through higher level functions like the rest of typo3. Therefore the
image processing tests never reflected, what T3 was actually doing.
* At least that seems to be dealt with now (partly at least. I had some
trouble specifying im6 for my im 6.0.6. With im5 it seems to work)

Concluding:
This part of T3 is extremely messy!!!!!! It needs a clean-up!!!! NOW!!!! A
real one!!!!

This is nothing worth draging on to the next version!!!! It should have been
dealt with in T3 4.0.0 already!!!

Even if we have to break some backwards compatibility. There are nearly no
modules converted to T3 4.0.0 and the new extension management yet anyhow. We
just need to include a warning in the upgrading instructions! But I am pretty
sure, I can make this one even backward compatible!

I am willing to do all the work, if the people in charge agree, this needs to
be done!!!!
behavior of the Image Processing tests in the install tool.

I conducted detailed investigation:
* Compiled and tested all available ImageMagick Versions on how they respond
to install tool settings.
* In-depth analysis of the install tool as well as the image processing code
in typo3. With astonishing findings.
* Investigation of what really caused the different behavior of ImageMagick
versions. And let me tell you, it has absolutely nothing to do with masks
being interpreted differently. This is just what SEEMS to be the symptom, but
it is not the cause.

And I filed a detailed report and even submitted some patches and discussed my
findings on the mailing list.

However,
Typo3 4.0 still does not get it right! While actually it is more the install
tool, that does not get it right as it does not reflect the exact way, typo3
is using the ImageMagick functions.

It appears to me as if the Typo3 image manipulation team just does not care,
just does not want to get it right. Or I simply did not speak to the right
people yet.

So I repeat my offer again:
I know what is going on and I am willing to sort out that problem for you once
and for all! If not now, than at least for typo3 4.5! How long do you want to
drag this obstacle around? And what for? The longer you wait the more
complicated will get your work arounds. Just treat the problem where it
occurs!

I don't want to hear any: "File a bug", "Submit your findings to the
mailinglist", "Submit a patch". I did all that, with no result.

So please, would anybody really interested in getting rid of the problem for
ever, contact me! I am, because I really want to get my changes up-stream!
Feel free to contact me via email or skype: elias1884.