[TYPO3-dev] Typo3 Database design question (optimization / indices)

Marc Wöhlken woehlken at quadracom.de
Thu Mar 23 19:47:11 CET 2006

Dimitri Tarassenko schrieb:

>> CONCLUSION:
>> Typo3 can benefit from well chosen index fileds. how well it will use
>> index fields is not clear as the results on my machine are not
>> representative - further measurements would be necessary.
>
> I think this needs to be done in a slightly different way, though.

I know but I just wanted a quick overview if investigating this subject
is worth the effort ;-)

On the other hand it may not be that important how big the gain in speed
is as long as we can assure it IS a gain.

>> QUESTION:
>> Why doesn't typo3 use these fields?!
>
> You probably meant "indexes", not fields. Anyways, very good question.
> Probably because for ages the biggest performance issue was not within
> MySQL but with PHP, and the majority of performance-improving efforts
> went into caching.
That is the explanation that came to my mind to: "nobody cared".

> One other observation - I know very little of MySQL performance
> tuning, but both on MS SQL and Postgres it is sometimes better to have
> "compound" indices including 2 or more fields. For example, a query
How to finetune the database is certainly an interesting subject for itself.
my first concern is / was to ensure these optimizations do not collide
with some substantial decision by the typo3 core team which I might have
missed...

Thanks for your comments

 Marc