[TYPO3-dev] record localization

Simon Tuck e-mailNO at SPAMeyejet.com
Wed Jun 28 13:41:21 CEST 2006

Franz Holzinger wrote:
> Hello Nikolas,
>

> I prefer a solution to have a language overlay table where the first
> table has all fields and the second only the texts and images to translate.
>
> c. Would result in something like:
> ----
> |UID|number|short description|long description|
> ----
> Table
>  | 1 |000001|good book        | very good book |
> ----
> Language Overlay Table
> |UID|short description|long description|sys_language_uid|parent_uid
>  | 2 |gutens buch      | sehr gutes Buch|1               |1
>
>> If i would like  empty localized fields being overlayed by the the
>> default language,
>> things will become even more complicated. Any "elegant" hints on that?
>>
>> Are there any API functions making it easier to deal with this problem?
>>
> You can use the Table Library extension for case c.)
>

> - Franz
Hello Franz,
We've had a similair discussion on the tt_products list: personally I think there should be *one* framework for localization
in TYPO3 and the current framework uses one table for many languages, which imo makes perfect sense. I know this is debatable,
but adding alternative localization frameworks and APIs is just confusing for the end user, not to mention for us programmers.
Furthermore it is easier to use one table as opposed to having to keep two tables in sync.
Cheers,
Simon