[TYPO3-dev] BLOBs considered harmful

"Marc Wöhlken [quadracom]" woehlken at quadracom.de
Wed Jun 28 13:01:00 CEST 2006

Martin Kutschker schrieb:
> So I suggest TYPO3 switches from Mysql type BLOB to TEXT. So other DBs
> are not tricked into BLOBs unless really necessary.

+1

... but be aware of some tricky differences between blob and text fields:

[mysql manual]
BLOB columns are treated as binary strings, whereas TEXT columns are
treated according to their character set. For BLOB columns, sorting and
comparison is case sensitive. For TEXT columns, values are sorted and
compared based on the collation of the character set assigned to the
column as of MySQL 4.1. Before 4.1, TEXT sorting and comparison are
based on the collation of the server character set.
[/mysql manual]

if these differences do not matter it would be great to switch to text
fields.

CU
 Marc

Marc Wöhlken

Quadracom - Gottschall, Proffe & Wöhlken

Fedelhören 45a                 WWW: http://www.quadracom.de
D-28203 Bremen                E-Mail: woehlken at quadracom.de
______________             PGP-Key: http://pgp.quadracom.de