[TYPO3-dev] Unified User Management and Session Standards

Phillip t3hci at projekte.richdale.de
Sun Jun 18 16:32:50 CEST 2006

Hi.
Generally it is that throughout the OSS PHP community and beyond
people often need to integrate various solutions in order to build
product that provides the functionality needed. Quite often this is a
CMS with something added to it - a shop or a CRM Application or
something.

Wouldn't it be at the time to finally unify user management
interfaces and standards and maybe additionally session management so
that it's easy for the OSS webapp communitiy to integrate with one
another? Imagine turning off XT Commerces user management and having
it latch onto that of Typo3 with just a few clicks. Extremly easy if
both use the same standards. If each CMS would offer standardized
interfaces for any other app to use it's user and session management
transparently.

Has this been attempted allready somewhere in the OSS community?
And if not, wouldn't T3 5.0 be an excellent opportunity to introduce
a unified standard into the OSS community? T3 is a large enough
project to actually get some attention if it would attempt that.
Imagine getting together with Drupal, Joomla, Postnuke, XOOPS and
some others and discussing that.

What do you think? We could even work together on the same codebase
for a functional module to handle that and bundle our resources.
CMSes differ in case models, featureset and such, but all of them
need more or less the same session and user management. We could have
different levels of functionality. It should be a piece of cake for
at least all of the PHP people to agree on a standard component for
that stuff.

What do you think?
If such a thing were brought to life, would T3 and it's devteam be on
board?

Phillip