[TYPO3-dev] News from the newbie-front

Johannes Reichardt typo3 at gramba.de
Fri Jun 16 00:39:42 CEST 2006

Hi there,

today i made my first deal where i will be paid for typo3 developing i
guess (other projects where just my own, not commercial). I got the job
because the agency heard that typo3 is somewhat "cool´n sexy" in the cms
scene. A cms that is free, powerful and does not limit your
possibilities. They employ a few php/mysql related people who know their
job well but are just about to start with typo3 - and therefore do not
have enough knowledge yet to use typo3 for current customers.
Nevertheless (sorry if this is boring to you just stop reading) - i
talked to those programming related people about their expiriences with
typo3.

The main developer i spoke to was trying template autoparser since it
seemed a convinient way to make a template. He thought that it would be
great and told me it would separate html completly from typo3
configuration, which would make it easy for their html-only developer to
participate and change layout afterwards. I was a little confused by the
autoparser example since i never digged into template autoparser, but
the complete seperation of html and typo3 seemed quite appealing. Also
he showed me how to quickly change the style by just targeting another
html file as the source for templating. (he was following a tutorial
from typo3.org actually).

So far everything worked quite well, besides the typoscript setup seemed
very confusing to me and somewhat spread over the site. But when he
tried to leave the trail of the tutorial or to customize things a little
more, he got completly lost. He was not able to take the next step and
add an extension, so it gets into the template as well. He showed me a
template for the extension but that was the *extension* template only -
which was at that point very confusing actually. (One man who clicks
fast around in an environment you don´t know and you have to follow that
stuff and keep track of it;)

That led us to a discussion about the nice possibilities of that way of
templating - he said it would be a great advantage to be able to chosse
different html templates and separate those. I said that i don´t know
this way of templating and prefer the direct way of putting typoscript
where it belongs along with the html. In the end we both where confused,
but i could convince him that this - quite appealing technique - would
be too complex and "undirect" to maintain. The fact that its also not
really possible in practice to seperate typo3 development completly from
html development also convinced him. Also he had invested quite a few
days in that way already.

I think there are a few interesting points about this objection. First i
saw a beginner getting lost in a quite appealing technique that should
more be sold as a "nice to have if you know your way around already" and
secondly the appeal that those ways of programming can have, but
unfortunatly confuse if you don´t know the basics (which basics?) already.

In the end i felt like an old fashioned hardliner who even suggested to
first make their extensions with php_content and afterwards beam it into
an extension, to keep the learning curve and "how to do things curve" as
low as possible. Just wanted to share this expirience, since its funny
that template_autoparser will feed me next month :)

- Johannes